Uncommon Service by Design
Ph: 925.901.0225
Fx: 925.901.0553


How difficult is it to change management companies?

It is rather easy if you have the right company taking over management, but finding a better alternative to current management can be difficult.  The fact is, as with most businesses, not all management companies are good.  Many provide inadequate service that should not be tolerated.

Once the Board of Directors selects Wills Management Group, our firm handles the entire transitional process and we keep the Board updated on all activities.  We developed a detailed list of actions to ensure all parties (owners, occupants, vendors, banks, etc.) are aware of the transition and we send reminders of same until the process is 100% complete.

How can a management contract be terminated?

The Board of Directors and not the members (owners) of the Association hire and fire service providers.  Although agreements are typically for a period of 12 months, they usually can be terminated with 30, 60 or 90 day notice.  If the Board of Directors is dissatisfied with the current management company, it does not need to wait until the end of the 12 month agreement.  Example:  Contract period is from January to December and a 60 day notice of termination is issued February 1st.  The contract will terminate on April 1st and Willis Management Group would assume management as of April 1st.

Homeowners that are dissatisfied can express concerns related to management to the Board, but the Board is not obligated to act if they are satisfied with the current management company.

What is covered by the association and assessments (dues)?

The association’s governing documents usually dictate the purpose of assessments, maintenance and insurance covered by the association.  Willis Management Group provides detailed budgets that break down assessment payments to the penny per line item so an owner can easily figure out how much they pay towards landscape maintenance, utilities, trash and other services as mandated by the governing documents.

What are the governing documents?

The governing documents typically include the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R’s), Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation and other rules, regulations or policies.  Each owner should receive a complete copy of the governing documents prior to or the close of escrow to ensure they agree with the documents.  Prior to the close of escrow is recommended as there may be restrictions or provisions that may prevent one from purchasing in a particular association.

  • Articles of Incorporation – For association purposes, this includes the basic charter of a corporation (name, basic purpose, and characteristics such as being non-profit).  The articles are filed with the State of California.
  • By-Laws – They generally include rules that govern the internal management of an organization and include how directors are elected, how meetings of directors are conducted, and what officers the organization will have and their duties.
  • Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R’s) – These documents typically include information regarding:  assessments, owner’s rights and obligations maintenance requirements of property owners and the association, use restrictions, insurance requirements of the association (and owner occasionally) along with other important data.  The document is recorded with the county.
  • Policies, Rules and Regulations – These documents (i.e.: collection policy, parking policy, parking rules, etc.) are developed and adopted by Board of Directors and are enforceable.

What is the Board of Directors?

The Board is comprised of unpaid volunteers elected by the members to serve the association, oversee its operations and enforce the governing documents.  Members of the Board are dedicated property owners that should look out for the best interest of the association and its members (owners).

How do I handle a violation notice?

Short answer: Comply with the request.

If you receive a violation notice, you are not likely in compliance with the association’s governing documents (CC&R’s, rules, regulations or policies).  Willis Management Group performs monthly site reviews for all clients and we will issue violation notices as necessary to maintain the aesthetic appeal of our client’s properties or for safety reasons.  The notice simply seek cooperation of the non-compliant party and is usually associated with a time line.  Failure to abide by the time line could result in fines or additional action as the Board of Directors deems reasonable and necessary.

How do I report a violation?

You can submit an email to the property manager assigned to your association or call them directly.  We need details such as the address, issue, date(s) of occurrence, photos (if applicable) and other relevant data.  Your information remains confidential and is not disclosed.  Our firm usually addresses these matters by issuing a violation notice to applicable party.

Accounting only services provided?

Yes.  A web portal link specifically related to accounting only items such as owner balances, e-statements, payment options, financial statements, etc. is also available.